Sunday, October 3, 2010

Desirable Object


This is my personal theory about much of the hysteria and paranoia surrounding gun ownership. We are talking the "they're coming to take away your guns" kinda talk. I believe this is just a basic ploy on the part of the gun collector to justify how much of the household income is spent on guns. Guns are desirable objects - in form and function. The weight, the lines, the details, the mechanisms, they just make you want to buy one more. But you can't call it want, you have to call it need. Imagine, "Honey, I have to buy new shoes to protect my shoes. They want to come and take away my shoes."
Like all Desirable Objects, guns are expensive. At a recent gun show, I looked on as a little boy watched his dad hand over about $900 in cash and I knew he was thinking what I was thinking, "Hey, that's a trip to Disneyland."

No comments:

Post a Comment